Monday, December 29, 2014

Year in Review, Part Two

Librarian of Snark's Favorite Middle-Grade Books of 2014

(in alphabetical order)

Boys of Blur by N.D. Wilson

Courage for Beginners by Karen Harrington

The Fourteenth Goldfish by Jennifer L. Holm

Half a World Away by Cynthia Kadohata

Life on Mars by Jennifer Brown

Lord and Lady Bunny - Almost Royalty! by Polly Horvath, illustrated by Sophie Blackall

A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd

The Terror of the Southlands by Caroline Carlson

Upside Down in the Middle of Nowhere by Julie T. Lamana

The Witch's Boy by Kelly Barnhill

Once again, this is just a sample of what I've read this year. I am still slightly behind in my reviews - something I'm desperately trying to rectify before year's end (though I may just give myself permission to start fresh in the new year and leave some things - GASP - unreviewed). According to my stats, I read 83 middle-grade books this year, almost twenty less than last year. I think all my stats are going to be lower this year, just a feeling I have. Several of the books on my favorites list have been mentioned in Newbery conversations, but I'm not sure any of them are a lock. Additionally, I've once again failed to read some of the most buzzed-about contenders, so my chances of predicting the winner are pretty slim. I'd say, of what I've read, Boys of Blur has the best shot, but we'll see. What were your favorite middle-grade titles this year? Any Newbery predictions from you?

No comments:

Post a Comment