Monday, June 9, 2014

48HBC Update the Second and Final

I have about seven hours left in my official reading time. I'll probably stay up for another hour or two before calling it quits. I'll post my final stats tomorrow morning. UPDATE: I've just revisited MotherReader's site and see the finish line must be posted by 7 a.m. EST tomorrow. I like y'all, but not enough to get up early when I don't have to, so I'm calling it quits now.

Here's where I stand now:

Time spent reading: 14 hours, exactly! (this now includes my audio listening time, as I finished my audiobook)
Pages read: 1046 (also includes my audiobook)
Time spent socializing/visiting other blogs: 1 hour, 8 minutes
Books finished: 5

So, I actually finished all the books from my stack! Here's a short review on each, with longer ones to come in the future (I already mentioned Nightingale's Nest in my first update).

She Is Not Invisible by Marcus Sedgwick - Sedgwick was an author I never thought I'd enjoy but I read a random book of his a few years ago and have happily picked up a few more since then. This is his newest, a bit unusual for him, but I enjoyed it. This fits the diverse theme with a main character who is blind.

Girl in Reverse by Barbara Stuber - ehhh, I'm pretty sure I picked up the ARC of this on a whim (or because the publisher was really enthusiastic about it) but I just didn't enjoy it. In fact, I think this book probably slowed my reading down quite a bit, as it took me over 4 hours to read this one. This fits the diverse theme with a main character who is Chinese.

Cleopatra in Space: Target Practice (book one) by Mike Maihack - I should have read this one in between the other two; it would have been a nice breather. It only took me about 20 minutes to read this, but I thought it was cute. Reminded me of Zita the Spacegirl. This fits the diverse theme because Cleopatra is Egyptian.

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler - this was the audiobook I was already listening to before the challenge started. I don't ever blog about adult books here, but I did enjoy this one. You can find my review on Goodreads in a couple days if you're interested. This one doesn't fit the diverse theme, really, though Zelda did have bipolar disorder.

I will probably read for another half hour or so before going to bed, but I'm okay not counting that time. Looking at my stats from last year, I read about 5 hours less but finished one more book. However, my page count was greater last year as well. I'm not surprised I didn't do as well; our summer reading kick-off and working all day after yesterday totally drained me. Hopefully next year it'll fall on a different weekend! Congrats to everyone who finished!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing! Girl In Reverse sounds cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the description sounded great but, unfortunately, I just didn't connect with the character. It had potential though!

      Delete
  2. I have not read any of your choices. They sound intriguing. Good job getting through them all.

    ReplyDelete