Saturday, February 22, 2014

Picture Book Saturday


Warning: Do Not Open This Book!
By Adam Lehrhaupt, illustrated by Matthew Forsythe
Published 2013 by Paula Wiseman Books
This is a fun, very interactive book that tells you right in the title that you should probably put the book down and slowly walk away. But, of course, the naturally curious child will find this impossible to do and will discover what's waiting inside the pages of this book. I liked it well enough, though not as much as other interactive picture books I've seen.



Little Cub
By Olivier Dunrea
Published 2012 by Philomel
I think I'd read anything by Dunrea, perhaps proven by the fact that I adore his series of books about adorable little birds (despite my fear of the flying creatures). So obviously, I was predisposed to enjoy this story, about an old bear who adopts a little cub and teaches him about the world. It's a very sweet parent-child story that I think would be great in a storytime about love and family. The illustrations are in Dunrea's classic style - they look like they walked straight out of a very elegant nursery.



The Pig on the Hill
By John Kelly
Published 2013 by Cameron + Company
Pig lives along on the top of the hill and he's quite happy with that. One morning, a very friendly duck moves in next door. After Duck hosts a loud party, Pig lets his displeasure be known and soon discovers Duck gone. It isn't long before Pig realizes he misses Duck. Will he ever come home? I know this story has been done about a million times before but I really liked this. It was fun and I think it used some interesting details that will appeal to kids. The illustrations are really vibrant and rewarding. I think it might be a little long for storytime, but maybe with a slightly older preschool or kindergarten crowd it would work.

No comments:

Post a Comment