Saturday, January 25, 2014

Picture Book Saturday



The Spooky Box
By Mark Gonyea
Published 2013 by Henry Holt and Co.
Kind of a silly little book, but I enjoyed the creativity of it. I can see using this in a spooky storytime for younger kids, and it's great for interactive, dialogic reading. I really like the look of this one, simple and bold, which I think works really well for the simplicity of the book itself. A fun one.




About a Bear
By Holly Surplice
Published 2012 by Tiger Tales
This is a great bear book for the younger crowd, featuring very simple sentences paired with lovely and expressive illustrations. Mainly, we follow the bear as he explores his world and discovers emotions. Great for helping little ones see the range of emotions and the bright colors make it visually appealing for a young age group.



Scout
By Gordon McMillan
Published 2012 by Sleeping Bear Press
Another simple story for young readers, this one about a small terrier who loves his red ball and must search for it when it goes missing. He might find more than he anticipates along the way. Interesting art style - I wonder how this style appeals to children. While I often find myself drawn to retro-style illustrations, I wonder if kids find them appealing as well. A basic story that feels just a little overdone.

No comments:

Post a Comment