Saturday, January 11, 2014

Picture Book Saturday


Things that Are Most in the World
By Judi Barrett, illustrated by John Nickle
Published 2001 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers
I don't know how anyone can resist a Judi Barrett book; I don't even bother to try. This one, which just showed up new at our library, is no exception. This is not really a story; Barrett instead provides us with some of the things that are most in the world - the stickiest, the quietest, etc. Of course, in typical Barrett fashion, none of these things are quite what you would have expected. I think this would be a really fun book to tie to non-fiction as you actually look up things that hold records for being the most at something. Definitely a great read.

Ghost in the House
By Ammi-Joan Paquette, illustrated by Adam Record
Published 2013 by Candlewick Press
I like spooky and scary things and I'm pretty sure any kid I have is going to grow up obsessed with Halloween. That being said, this ghoulishly themed counting book is definitely appealing to me. A little ghost wanders through his house, discovering spooky surprises around every corner. The illustration style is really friendly, so even though this book is filled with ghastly creatures, I can't imagine any kid being frightened by them. A simple but fun book.

Little Owl's Night
By Divya Srinivasan
Published 2011 by Viking Juvenile
I love, love the illustrations here, probably the main reason why I picked this book up in the first place. This is a really interesting take on the bedtime story, as Little Owl journeys through the night (owls are nocturnal, after all) and observes all the amazing things that happen when the sun is down. I think this might actually help kids who are afraid of the dark or night-time. They could learn about what is happening while they are sleeping. Very cute, with lovely illustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment