Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The Year in Review, Part One



It's that time again! What librarian doesn't love a list? Here are my picks for 2013! Links go to my reviews where possible.

Librarian of Snark's Favorite Picture Books of 2013

(in no particular order)


Mo's Mustache by Ben Clanton

That is Not a Good Idea! by Mo Willems

Wilfred by Ryan Higgins

Building Our House by Jonathan Bean

Ganesha's Sweet Tooth by Sanjay Patel and Emily Haynes

The Dark by Lemony Snicket, illustrated by Jon Klassen

Flora and the Flamingo by Molly Idle

Nelson Mandela by Kadir Nelson

Mustache Baby by Bridget Heos, illustrated by Joy Ang

Chu's Day by Neil Gaiman, illustrated by Adam Rex

Honorable Mentions


Battle Bunny by Jon Scieszka and Mac Barnett, illustrated by Matthew Myers

Carnivores by Aaron Reynolds, illustrated by Dan Santat

Because I'm Your Dad by Ahmet Zappa, illustrated by Dan Santat

Who's on First? by Bud Abbott and Lou Costello, illustrated by John Martz

Zoe's Room by Bethanie Deeney Murguia

As I've mentioned, my Goodreads account (where I keep track of all the books I read) is a bit behind my actual reading, but according to the stats over there, I read about 144 picture books this year, about 100 less than last year. Clearly, this list of favorites is just a small sample; check out my Picture Book Saturday posts for more reviews.

Obviously, I don't read as many or as deeply as the Caldecott committee, but my favorites are all there in my top ten. I'd love to see Adam Rex win for Chu's Day and I wouldn't be surprised if Jon Klassen won again this year with The Dark.

What are your favorite picture books this year? Any gems I missed? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment