Saturday, November 16, 2013

Picture Book Saturday



Toys in Space
By Mini Grey
Published 2013 by Knopf Books for Young Readers
I've seen Mini Grey's books around before and have been drawn to the illustrations - they just look like so much fun. So, when I spotted this newest title on our new book cart, I immediately picked it up and read it. It's a bit of a confusing story, and a little too long for a storytime crowd, but I can see this being a popular bedtime read. The toys get left outside and end up on a space adventure. It's entertaining, and I loved how everything came together at the end. Definitely a cute story. 

Friends
By Mies Van Hout
Published 2013 by Lemniscaat USA
I love, love, loved Happy by Van Hout - the simplicity was great but I thought it was an excellent example of a concept book done very right. This new book is almost as fantastic. In this book, Van Hout explores friendship and all the things that can mean. Once again, I love that she doesn't shy away from negative emotions and interactions in these books - kids should learn these things, too. I don't love the illustrations quite as much in this one, but this is another fantastic concept book from Van Hout.

The King of Space
By Jonny Duddle
Published 2013 by Templar
This was a somewhat amusing book about a little boy who wants to be the king of space - a feat he actually manages to accomplish. However, when he gets into a bit of trouble, he won't be able to hide the truth from his parents anymore. It's kind of a cute book, with illustrations that look like they come straight from Pixar or Dreamworks studio - which will definitely be appealing to kids. The story is a bit long, though, and not as funny as one might hope. An okay read.

No comments:

Post a Comment