Saturday, October 12, 2013

Picture Book Saturday



Steam Train, Dream Train
By Sherri Duskey Rinker, illustrated by Tom Lichtenheld
Published 2013 by Chronicle Books
Kids have loved Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site since it was released, so it's really no surprise that the team behind it released another similar title. This one, as you could probably guess, focuses on trains, another big hit with the preschool-age crowd. I love the soft illustration style of both of these books. I also think they make great bedtime books - they are gentle and calming and I think they put kids in just the right mood.

The Day the Crayons Quit
By Drew Daywalt, illustrated by Oliver Jeffers
Published 2013 by Philomel
I couldn't resist the cover illustration or the idea of this book. I think it's a perfect book for the kindergarten crowd - they love funny books, and this one is. I think kindergarten is the perfect age for enjoyment of this book. They spend a lot of time with crayons and have undoubtedly picked their favorites. I think they'll benefit from the idea of using new colors for their pictures. I love the illustrations - even more fun.


Someone's Sleepy
By Deborah Lee Rose, illustrated by Dan Andreasen
Published 2013 by Abrams
This is another soft and gentle bedtime read, though this one focuses on the bedtime ritual between a mother and child. I like the simplicity of the story and the rhyming pattern will become familiar and comforting to children with the repeated readings that are sure to occur. The illustrations are so cute. A very sweet story.

No comments:

Post a Comment