Saturday, May 11, 2013

Picture Book Saturday


The Shape of My Heart
By Mark Sperring, illustrated by Alys Paterson
Published 2012 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens
This is a cute little book that takes a new approach to shapes. Yes, it's got your standard circles, squares, and triangles - but it also has the sun, eyes, and hands. It's a sweet little story for a love or Valentine's Day storytime and I really like the illustrations. This would be a great book for dialogic reading, as there is a lot of exploration that can be done in the pictures. Very cute.


Cheetah Can't Lose
By Bob Shea
Published 2013 by Balzer + Bray

I adore Bob Shea and his books - this is no exception. I love it! Cheetah is kind of a jerk but he's also pretty good at what he does. Two kittens just want to engage in some friendly competition but Cheetah sucks all the fun right out of it. Can they figure out a way to outsmart Cheetah? This is a super fun story and incredibly appealing. Kids are going to love it - it will make you laugh out loud. Wonderful!


Oh Nuts!
By Tammi Sauer, illustrated by Dan Krall
Published 20212 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens
This is a funny little story of three squirrels who live at a zoo and are mighty sick of being ignored because of all the other fancy-schmancy zoo animals. Kids will definitely think it's funny and the illustrations are really vibrant and eye-catching. However, the book is a bit too long for its intended audience, I think.

Chu's Day
By Neil Gaiman, illustrated by Adam Rex
Published 2013 by HarperCollins
I almost hesitate to write about this book. You see, Adam Rex is, perhaps, my ultimate favorite illustrator (and he's up there as an author). And Neil Gaiman - I mean, IT'S NEIL GAIMAN. I anticipated this book from the moment I heard about it (which was quite some time ago). I desperately want to own a copy of this signed by both these men. If that ever happened, I think my life would be complete. Because this is not just the case of two of my favorite book creators coming together - it's a darn good book, too. I love the simplicity and hilarity of this story and I can see this being a huge hit in storytime. It is adorable and so much fun. I, of course, love Rex's illustrations (Chu has aviator goggles, for pete's sake!!). I just adore this book so, so much. If you ever want to make me die of happiness, track me down a signed copy of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment