Sunday, April 7, 2013

Program: Friendship Bracelets

So, I may have mentioned this before, but I am not the best at coming up with catchy names for my programs; thus, my February tween program was simply called Friendship Bracelets.

I don't have a whole lot to say about the program, except I should have done a better job of promoting it - only a handful of kids showed up. However, I did have one boy (I expected none) and they loved learning how to make the bracelets. I taught them a basic friendship bracelet - you can find the tutorial for the fishtail pattern we made on Pinterest. As expected, only one girl had any experience making bracelets before, so they definitely needed a lot of one-on-one help. For the most part, though, once they got started, the kids did fine on their own. Everyone left with one bracelet and most people had two (or the start of a second).

I'd definitely like to try this program again - maybe I'd have better success in December, when people are looking for a fast homemade gift? Or maybe it just wasn't a good day for a program? I never can tell with these things. Regardless, this was a simple and low-stress program that I think has potential - I've just got to figure out how to maximize it.

1 comment: