Saturday, April 27, 2013

Picture Book Saturday


Secret Agent Splat
By Rob Scotton!
Published 2012 by HarperCollins
Splat has discovered something amiss in his house - someone has messed with his ducks! Not to worry - Splat will simply use his Secret Agent skills to uncover the mysterious culprit. What do I really need to say about this book? I've been in love with Rob Scotton's books since Russell the Sheep (underappreciated, I think, and suffering in the shadow of the Splat books) and Splat is just as fabulous (and clearly more popular). I was so excited to see this one last year (yes, I'm writing a review a year later) because our summer reading club had a mystery theme and this would be perfect. This is a delightful book, so much fun.

Gideon
Gideon and Otto
By Olivier Dunrea
Published 2012 by Houghton Mifflin Books for Children
I don't have a ton to say about these books - they are incredibly short, perfect for toddlers, and simple. But they are exceedingly adorable. I don't like birds, but Dunrea's ducks and goslings are so sweet that even I can't resist them. Gideon introduces a little gosling who absolutely does not want to take a nap. Gideon and Otto showcases Gideon's best friend, Otto the octopus, and the adventures they enjoy together. I love these books, so simple and so sweet.







Kali's Song
By Jeannette Winter
Published 2012 by Schwartz & Wade
I seem to remember this book making a bit of a splash when it first came out, so I was definitely interested in seeing what the fuss was about. I suppose I just didn't get this one. It tells the story of Kali, a young boy who lived many thousands of years ago, and his desire to make music. I guess this is a book to celebrate the differences and uniqueness of all of us, but I just didn't care for it terribly much.


Sleep Like a Tiger
By Mary Logue, illustrated by Pamela Zagarenski
Published 2012 by Houghton Mifflin Books for Children
My library didn't receive a copy of this book until after it won a Caldecott Honor so I was dying to get my hands on it and see for myself. I have to say - I do not like this book. Which is perfectly fine, since I also cannot stand Chris Raschka and everyone else thinks he's a genius. I do not like the text or the illustrations in this book - which is a bit surprising - usually I will enjoy at least some part of a picture book. But I found this text just blah and the illustrations weird. Definitely not my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment