Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Review: Shadow Breakers


Shadow Breakers (Shadow Runners, book one)
By Daniel Blythe
Published 2013 by Chicken House

Miranda is not happy about her new home - it's a boring seaside town where nothing happens, far from all the memories of her father. But then, something very strange and evil happens and Miranda finds herself in the middle. With a group of classmates, Miranda discovers the truth about her new boring seaside town - and maybe about herself as well.

I requested an e-galley of this a few months back, trying to keep on top of my goal of reading more tween fiction. This one sounded like it had potential - a creepy small town with unexplainable happenings? A slightly jaded heroine? Unfortunately, potential was about all this book had. I really wanted to like it. Really, really. But I just didn't. I struggled to keep reading it. The pacing was off, the dialogue was incredibly simplistic and the transitions and plotting were just clunky. A lot of things just struck me as too unbelievable - and I'm not even talking about the supernatural stuff. The relationships between Miranda and her schoolmates did not develop in a realistic way - when Miranda is told by a boy that he likes her, it was too far-fetched for me. He doesn't even know her! I like the idea of how this book is set up - times and places are given throughout chapters to locate each bit of the story - but it seems completely unnecessary in actuality. I really did not like Miranda either, making it incredibly difficult for me to root for this book. She just doesn't strike me as a pleasant person - in fact, no one in this book seems like the kind of person I'd want to hang out with. Additionally, the twist at the end is not all that surprising. This book had potential but it just didn't pan out. A disappointing read and I don't think I'll invest in this series.

Thanks to the publisher for a digital advance reader's copy, provided via NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment