Saturday, January 19, 2013

Picture Book Saturday



Oh No! Not Again!: (Or, How I Built a Time Machine to Save History) (Or At Least My History Grade)
By Mac Barnett, illustrated by Dan Santat
Published 2012 by Hyperion
Well, it's official - this girl is too smart for her own good. In her first adventure, she built a robot that almost destroyed the world. This time around, she builds a time machine. Why? Well, to fix history so that she doesn't get that A- on her test. Santat is one of my favorite illustrators and I had enjoyed the first book, so I quickly picked up this one. I liked it even better than the previous title. It's a great book for sharing because there is a lot to pore over and discuss. This would be a great title to share with elementary school kids - they will definitely appreciate the humor.

Cloudette
By Tom Lichtenheld
Published 2011 by Henry Holt and Co.
This is basically the cutest book you will ever encounter. It's the cutest book about a cloud, the cutest book about weather, and the cutest book about being little. If you're little, you get cute nicknames and everyone thinks you're adorable (it's true, ask the nearest toddler). But what if you want to do something only big clouds (or people) can do? A change of place opens up new possibilities for Cloudette. I loved the humor sprinkled throughout, the gentle illustrations, and the lovely little message. I think children will really connect with Cloudette. This is definitely a new favorite of mine.


Cock-a-Doodle Dance!
By Christine Fagan-Tricarico, illustrated by Rich Deas
Published 2012 by Feiwel & Friends
Life is gloomy and boring on this farm, but Rooster is about to change all that. To break everyone out of their chore rut, Rooster gets them all dancing. But then chores are getting done. Will they find a balance? I appreciate what this book is trying to do, but I'm not sure it really works. The rhythm is off throughout the text and some of the vocabulary, while new and interesting, makes you stumble as you read. I also don't really enjoy the story itself. But the pictures are eye-catching and I'm sure there is an audience for this book; it just wasn't me.

Bedtime is Canceled
By Cece Meng, illustrated by Aurelie Neyret
Published 2012 by Clarion Books
It started with a note - just a simple note between siblings. Maggie and her brother thought of it, hoping it would fool their parents. Well, not exactly - but something even bigger happens. Soon, the news has spread worldwide: BEDTIME IS CANCELED. This would be a fun book for a pajama storytime. Kids will relate to not wanting to go to bed and will think the ensuing chaos is silly and entertaining. I liked it. The illustrations are very appealing as well. I'd definitely like to try this out on a storytime crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment