Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Review: Guys Read: Funny Business

Guys Read: Funny Business
Edited by Jon Scieszka, read by Michael Boatman, Kate DiCamillo, John Keating, Jon Scieszka, and Bronson Pinchot
Published 2010 by HarperAudio

From the man who brought you Time Warp Trio, Guys Read is a new collection of short stories by guys' favorite authors. This volume, the first in the library, collects their most gut-busting stories, sure to make you roll on the floor with laughter.

I downloaded this audiobook recently, just because I've always been curious about this (and the other) Guys Read title(s). Plus, some authors that I really enjoy are featured in these anthologies, so why wouldn't I give it a shot? As with any collection, I enjoyed some stories more than others, but I think this book definitely has appeal across the board. There is a little bit of something for everyone and the stories are actually funny. "Funny" books are, for me, the hardest kinds for which to do reader's advisory, because humor is so subjective. But with a collection like this, it's pretty much a sure thing that at least one story is going to get your reader cracking up and most likely, it'll be more than one. Favorites for me were the stories by Adam Rex, Jack Gantos, David Lubar, and David Yoo. I am eager to check out the rest of the Guys Read library and definitely will plan on recommending this to my readers looking for funny books. The audio version is nicely done, with the narrators taking turns for the various stories. It makes it easy to distinguish one from the other and all the narrators selected are quite good.

No comments:

Post a Comment