Saturday, October 20, 2012

Picture Book Saturday (38)



Apple Cake: A Recipe for Love
By Julie Paschkis
Published 2012 by Harcourt Children's Books
This is a cute little story about Ida, who loves books so much that nothing can distract her from them. Not even the attentions of Alfonso, who harbors an affection for her. He does everything he can think of to attract her eye but nothing works. Nothing until the apple cake, perhaps? This is a sweet story about love but, for me, the strength lies in the illustrations. They are whimsical and lovely, brightly colored, detailed and magical. Just a lovely little book.

Sky Color
By Peter H. Reynolds
Published 2012 by Candlewick
I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again - I'm a complete fangirl for Peter Reynolds. I've loved everything of his and I eagerly anticipate his new books, always wishing there were more of them. This book finishes up his "Creatrilogy," which includes the beloved The Dot and Ish. Here, Marisol knows she is a painter and is beyond thrilled when her class is tasked with making a mural for the library. But as she tries to paint the sky, she begins to wonder, "exactly what color is it?" While I didn't find this book as delightful as the first two in the trilogy, this is still a lovely story about art and believing in yourself.

Pig Has a Plan
By Ethan Long
Published 2012 by Holiday House
Pig wants nothing more than to take a nap, but it's just a little too noisy in the barnyard. But, Pig has a plan. What is Pig's plan? I've beginning to consider myself quite the fan of Long - his books are simple and humorous, with plenty of kid appeal and bold illustrations. I've yet to find one that I didn't really enjoy and the sort-of surprise ending is sure to work for audiences. Lots of storytime possibilities with this one!



Ten Tiny Toes
By Todd Tarpley, illustrated by Marc Brown
Published 2012 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
This is a very sweet and lovely book about the arrival of ten tiny toes (on baby's feet, of course) and how special and wonderful they are. We follow these toes (and the baby) as they go to accomplish many things. This is more of a book for parents, and would make a lovely gift for those expecting. Marc Brown's illustrations work very well for this story - they are the right amount of soft and sophisticated.

No comments:

Post a Comment