Saturday, October 6, 2012

Picture Book Saturday (36)



The Insomniacs
By Karina Wolf, illustrated by the Brothers Hilts
Published 2012 by Putnam Juvenile
I remember hearing about this picture book way back in January at ALA Midwinter, so I was definitely looking forward to seeing it for myself. Unfortunately, the book didn't quite live up to my expectations. The illustrations are lovely and I definitely think the Brothers Hilts are people to keep your eyes on. But the story itself didn't really strike me. I suppose, looking back on it, I like it more than I did when I first read it. I think it would be an enjoyable bedtime story but might prove problematic with getting kids to actually sleep (it is about a family who likes to stay up all night, after all).

Guinea Pig Party
By Holly Surplice
Published 2012 by Nosy Crow
I'm not particularly enthralled by guinea pigs but the ones on the cover are just so stinking cute that I had to pick this book up and find out what a guinea pig party looks like. The answer - ADORABLE. This is a concept book that practices counting sweet little guinea pigs as they celebrate - maybe a little too much. I definitely wouldn't mind going to a guinea pig party if it was as sweet and fun as this one!

Bang! Boom! Roar! A Busy Crew of Dinosaurs
By Nate Evans and Stephanie Gwyn Brown, illustrated by Christopher Santoro
Published 2012 by Harper
Unfortunately, this book came in just after we finished out construction theme storytimes, which was a real shame. This is definitely a kid-friendly and appealing book and would have been a huge hit at construction storytime. After all, it combines construction with dinosaurs - two things little kids (perhaps especially little boys) love. And, not only does this combine those two wonderful and popular subjects, but this book is also an alphabet book! Absolutely wonderful! I really liked this one with its vibrant and entertaining illustrations and the excellent vocabulary it will introduce.

The Fantastic Jungles of Henri Rousseau
By Michelle Markel, illustrated by Amanda Hall
Published 2012 by Eerdmans Books
This is a beautiful and inspiring picture book biography of the artist Henri Rousseau. I admit that, though the name sounded familiar, I couldn't place him within the art world. But that didn't detract from my enjoyment of this lovely book. Kids learn that Henri wanted to be an artist even though he had never learned and no one had ever told him he was any good and he was already in his forties (which, to kids, will be exceptionally old). But Henri wanted to try anyway, so he entered an art exhibit. Henri's perseverance is a great lesson for kids who are scared to try new things. The illustrations are absolutely beautiful. This is a wonderful new biography for young readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment