Saturday, June 23, 2012

Picture Book Saturday (21)

Memoirs of a Goldfish
By Devin Scillian, illustrated by Tim Bowers
Published 2012 by Sleeping Bear Press
I don't know why this book ended up on our new book cart, and I also vaguely remember reading it before, but I never posted a review of it, so why not now? This is an adorable book about a goldfish who recounts his life. First, he is alone in his bowl and he likes that just fine. Soon, he is joined by an increasing number of intruders and begins to feel very unhappy. But when all the intruders suddenly disappear, will he have a change of heart? Very sweet story, it might work in a storytime about fish but it also might be a little too long.

You Are a Lion! And Other Fun Yoga Poses
By Taeeun Yoo
Published 2012 by Nancy Paulsen Books
I've recently become a big fan of yoga and I like to think I'm pretty good at it. I was definitely interested in seeing how they would introduce the practice to kids when I spotted this picture book. I think it's a very simple and cute introduction to some of the more interesting yoga poses, though I was confused when they introduced mountain pose (there was an animal theme going on  -they could have done pigeon or something else). But it's a very cute little book that explains how to do each pose, accompanied by an illustration of a small child in the pose. The next page names the pose and shows the child in the pose among the animals each pose is named for. Very cute, this will definitely appeal to yoga moms.

The Unruly Queen
By E.S. Redmond
Published 2012 by Candlewick Press
This is the story of a horrible little girl who doesn't behave. She has had a new nanny every week and none have done anything to curb her unruly behavior. But when nanny number 53 arrives, she's got a little trick up her sleeve to convince Miss Minerva that maybe she should try to change that behavior. I think kids will like reading about the clever way the nanny changes Minerva's behavior and parents might enjoy a new idea for getting their own unruly kings and queens to behave.

C.R. Mudgeon
By Leslie Muir, illustrated by Julian Hector
Published 2012 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers
I could not resist picking this book up - it's about a curmudgeonly hedgehog for crying out loud! Mr. Mudgeon is simply set in his ways and doesn't like change. So when Paprika shows up with her poppies and spicy foods and mariachi bands, he's in for a very unpleasant change of pace. I really liked this story and I think kids would enjoy it as well. Good for a storytime about changes or hedgehog (very specific, I know, but why not?)

No comments:

Post a Comment