Saturday, May 19, 2012

Picture Book Saturday (16)

Jane & Mizmow
By Matthew S. Armstrong
Published 2011 by HarperCollins
This is an adorable story about friendship and just how hard it can be to be friends with a monster. I think this book provides a great lesson even for kids who don't have monsters among their friends (although, if such a child exists is doubtful). The pictures are very sweet - they sort of remind me of Jane Chapman's style. This whole thing just made me go "awww..."

Listen to My Trumpet!
By Mo Willems
Published 2012 by Hyperion Books for Children
I don't think I will ever get sick of reading the Elephant and Piggie books. I'm pretty sure my future children will own every single one and I will read them aloud incessantly because I just LOVE THEM SO MUCH. Yes, I needed the all caps to describe my love for these books. These books make me want to speak exclusively in all caps. Anyway, this is another delightful entry in the series: Piggie buys a trumpet and wants to Gerald to listen to her play. Like Happy Pig Day! this one has another sweet and surprising ending. PLEASE MAKE THESE BOOKS FOREVER, MO WILLEMS.

Otto the Book Bear
By Katie Cleminson
Published 2012 by Hyperion Books for Children
This is a story for younger kids about book characters coming to life that I think will probably fascinate children. It's such a fun idea - that the characters in your books escape at night when you're not reading them and explore your world. I really like Otto's spirit and the illustrations for this are especially sweet.

The Busy Life of Ernestine Buckmeister
By Linda Ravine Lodding, illustrated by Suzanne Beaky
Published 2011 by Flashlight Press
This is a great picture book that should appeal to today's overscheduled child. Poor Ernestine has too much going on - she's scheduled for yoga and karate and art and music and water ballet and it never ends! Often, she sees some neighborhood kids jumping on a trampoline and wishes for just a little free time in her schedule. Eventually, Ernestine rebels against her schedule. This is the sad but true life for many children nowadays. I really like the goofy illustration style of this. This would be a great book for the parents of these overscheduled kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment