Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Looking Forward...

Like all good book-obsessed folk, I am always eagerly anticipating the new books coming out. In 2012, I'm looking forward to trying to finish up all the series I'm currently in the midst of, as well as getting back on track and reading all the books that have already been published that I've been meaning to get around to. I hope to make a dent in my personal collection of books I own but haven't yet read. But, I wouldn't be a hard-core reader if I didn't have some books that I can't wait to see come out this year.

Anticipated books of 2012:
- Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore
I really enjoyed Graceling, though Fire fell a little short for me. But, hands down, Bitterblue was my favorite character and I've been anticipating this book since I knew it existed. I cannot wait to read about her again and hope that this proves to be another wonderful read by Cashore. (Expected publication: May 1)
-  The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
I didn't actually even know what this book was about until yesterday but, honestly, who cares? A new John Green is all I needed to know. But, now that I know the premise, I'm even more excited than I was before. Even though I haven't read all of Green's work yet, I've read enough to know that this book is sure to be one of my favorites of 2012. (Expected publication: January 10)
- Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Cinderella as a cyborg??? I don't necessarily go for heavy science fiction stuff but I absolutely adore fairy tale retellings. Some of my favorite book bloggers just posted a review that wasn't entirely positive but I'm still eager to get my grubby little paws on this one. (Expected publication: January 3)

- Unwholly by Neal Shusterman
I literally just finished listening to Unwind and was terribly excited to discover that there will be a sequel. I can't wait to see where Shusterman goes with this story. I'll be posting a review of Unwind shortly but, suffice to say, this is now one of my most anticipated books of the year. (Expected publication: September 25)
- The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan
I haven't even read Son of Neptune yet but it doesn't matter because I know I will be on tenterhooks waiting for the third installment of this series. My guess is that this will be from Annabeth's perspective and will find the heroes traveling to Greece, but does it really matter? This book is sure to be an action-packed thrill ride addition to Riordan's exciting series. (Expected publication: September)
- The Twelve by Justin Cronin
I'm about halfway through The Passage and it's pretty clear that it would have made it into my best of 2011 list if I had finished it before year's end. That being said, even without knowing how book one ends, I'm thrilled to learn that book two will be out in 2012 and can't wait to see where this incredibly well-crafted series will go. (Expected publication: August 28)
- The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe
This book has been getting a lot of buzz in the blogosphere and it sounds like a book right up my alley. I'm very much looking forward to this post-apocalyptic viral crisis title. (Expected publication: January 24)
- The Diviners by Libba Bray
I literally just discovered this book existed but I will read anything that Bray writes and now can't wait. It sounds like the start of a new series in a similar vein as the Gemma Doyle trilogy but set in a time period even more exciting to me - the 1920s. I CANNOT WAIT. I have the ultimate greed for this book. Seriously. Within five minutes of discovering its existence. (Expected publication: November 1)
- The Rise of Nine by Pittacus Lore
HOW WILL THIS SERIES END?? Dying to find out. One of my most surprising new favorites in the last couple of years, I can't wait to see how it all ends. Bernie Kosar <3 (Expected publication: August 21)
- Whatever the second book is called by Laini Taylor
I don't care what the title is, what the plot is, what the cover looks like - none of it matters. I think it's safe to say that, with a mere two books (that I've read), Taylor has guaranteed that I will follow her anywhere. Daughter of Smoke and Bone was one of my absolute most favorite reads of 2011 and I cannot wait for the sequel. (Expected publication: September)

- Broken Harbour by Tana French
For my now-defunct book club, we read In the Woods, which I really enjoyed. I have read the two books she's published since then and I find each compelling and extremely well-executed. I really like the mysteries she writes and can't wait for this new book. (Expected publication: March 29)

- Storybound by Marissa Burt
Another book that I just discovered existed, this sounds like a book designed for me. Children in Story go to classes to become Heroes, Sidekicks, even Villains. When a young girl stumbles into Story, she finds herself in jeopardy. This book sounds like a fantastic new middle-grade fantasy. Can't wait! (Expected publication: April 3)
- Sisters of Glass by Stephanie Hemphill
This year, I read Hemphill's verse portrait of Sylvia Plath and was blown away by its beauty and wonderfulness. So that makes me very excited for her new verse novel - a tale of two sisters on the Venetian island of Murano. I'm even more excited because I've actually been to Murano and bought glass blown there, so I can't wait to see Hemphill's portrayal of the island and its profession. (Expected publication: May 8)
- The Council of Mirrors by Michael Buckley
It's here! It's finally here! It's almost too good to believe! The final book in the Sisters Grimm series is coming out in 2012!! I am jubilant. I can't wait to see how this series ends. Though I wasn't completely taken with the series at first, I've grown to absolutely adore it and have waited not-so-patiently for each book to arrive. (Expected publication: May 8)
- For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
This is another book getting tons of buzz in the blogosphere and Twitterverse. I've only read the first Killer Unicorn book but really loved it and I have the second in my room right now (hoping to read it this week). I'm so intrigued by the idea of this book (a post-apocalpytic retelling of Jane Austen's Persuasion) that I think it could either be amazing or really stumble. The only hitch for me is that I've never read Persuasion so I worry what may be lost on me. Regardless, can't wait to see how this turns out. (Expected publication: June 12)
- Team Human by Justine Larbalestier and Sarah Rees Brennan
I'm still not 100% convinced that this is actually really going to happen but I'm pretty sure I've seen that a couple lucky folks have gotten ARCs so I guess I believe it enough to put it here. I think I've only read one book by either author but I've heard great things about both of them. Regardless, this book just sounds awesome. (Expected publication: July 3)
- Spark by Amy Kathleen Ryan
Glow was a book that came out of the blue for me and the more I think about it, the more I really enjoyed it. I am thrilled to see that the next installment will be out next year - yay for shorter wait times for series books! I think this is going to be a really strong series and can't wait to read more. (Expected publication: July 17)
- Where We Belong by Emily Giffin
I love Giffin's books because they are smart and funny and deal with complicated adult issues and relationships. There is only one already published that I haven't read yet and I plan on fixing that soon, so I can't wait for her new book to arrive. (Expected publication: July 31)
- Romeo Redeemed by Stacey Jay
I had mixed feelings about Juliet Immortal so I will be very interested to see how Jay continues the story in this sequel. She captured me with her Megan Berry series so I'll continue to read what she writes. I hope the world is developed more in this sequel. (Expected publication: August)
- Such Wicked Intent by Kenneth Oppel
I was absolutely blown away by This Dark Endeavour in 2011 - it was a dark and disturbing and fascinating read. Incredibly well-developed with intriguing characters, I can't wait for the sequel! (Expected publication: August 21)
Okay, so I'm going to limit myself to twenty here, but that's just a small sampling of the books I can't wait for in 2012! What is everyone else looking forward to?

No comments:

Post a Comment