Sunday, December 4, 2011

Review: Fracture

Fracture
By Megan Miranda
Expected publication January 3, 2012 by Walker & Company

Eleven minutes doesn't seem like all that long, but a lot can happen. Three minutes underwater without air equals loss of consciousness. Brain damage starts at four minutes. Death is definite at ten minutes. Decker pulls Delaney out of the water at eleven minutes.

So, I did a couple reviews for the blog the other day and I think it was only the day after I finished reading this book. But I totally forgot about writing a review for this one because I was already trying so hard to block this book from my memory. At multiple points while reading I said to myself, "I should have stopped reading this already." I hadn't heard much about this book when I picked up an ARC at ALA but I have this disease where I can't say no to free books. So, I happily grabbed it up. The ARC opens with a letter from the publisher about how wonderful this book is, how the publishing team was swept away by this manuscript. Am I totally clueless? This book was terrible on every count. The characters are so incredibly underdeveloped that I don't understand how anyone could possibly care at all for them. I couldn't tell you the first thing about Delaney and she's the main character! Additionally, what is happening in this book?? You get the impression that something paranormal/supernatural is supposed to be happening but there is no clear explanation. Additionally, the love triangle is weak and ill-defined (probably due to the lack of characterization) and the "villain" is a confused mess. This whole book reads like a train wreck and I really don't see any redeeming value. I can't really see how this book was such a big hit in its publishing house. Maybe I just don't get it.

Thanks to the publisher for an advance reader's copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment