Saturday, November 12, 2011

Review: The Unforgettable Season

The Unforgettable Season
By Phil Bildner, illustrated by S. Schindler
Published 2011 by Penguin Group

I have a hard time resisting baseball in pretty much any form. So this picture book caught my eye from the "New" shelf and I immediately gravitated to it. Bildner tells the story of 1941, the season of Joe DiMaggio's hitting streak and Ted Williams' best batting average. It explores the rivalry between the two men, as well as how fans reacted to these extraordinary feats (which, if I'm not mistaken, still stand today). A stirring tribute to the sport and two of its greatest players, I think this book would be a big hit for baseball fans of any age. The illustrations are simple and evoke the game well. The text is more advanced than a simple picture book, so I would recommend this for an older crowd. This book made me appreciate these great players even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment