Monday, November 21, 2011

Review: Carver

Carver: A Life in Poems
By Marilyn Nelson
Published 2001 by Front Street

In this slim volume, Nelson beautifully relates the life of George Washington Carver through her skills with poetry. I don't know all that much about Carver and his life, so this book was really my introduction to the man. And what a wonderful introduction this provides. Nelson creates snapshots of Carver's life with her well-crafted verse and leaves the reader feeling that they really know Carver. What I found intrusive about another verse portrait I read recently (notes along the bottom of the pages) didn't bother me as much here. Perhaps it's because Nelson's notes were usually only one brief sentence and, in most cases, didn't provide much more information than the poem itself. Regardless, this was a truly wonderful read that I was incredibly happy to immerse myself in for an hour or so (it's a very quick read). This is another work of verse that won a Newbery Honor - and this is very much deserved. This book is highly recommended for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment