Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Review: 43 Old Cemetery Road

Dying to Meet You (Book 1)
Published 2009


Over My Dead Body (Book 2)
Published 2009


Till Death Do Us Bark (Book 3)
By Kate Klise, illustrated by M. Sarah Klise
Published 2011 by Harcourt

This review encompasses the first three books of the new series by the Klise sisters, authors of the beloved Regarding the... series. I know how popular their earlier series was, and I recently read the first one, but when I saw the new series, I thought it might be a bit more up my alley (because of the spooky/scary/ghost story aspect). The basic premise here is that 43 Old Cemetery Road is house haunted by its former owner, failed author Olive C. Spence. Young Seymour Hope now resides in the mansion, abandoned by his parents. Mr. Ignatius B. Grumply initially rents the house in order to complete work on a new book in his famed Ghost Tamer series. Each book features these three main characters while introducing a new evil plot for them to foil in each title. The books are funny and cute, quick to read and interesting to try to figure out along the way. They are not as spooky or scary as I had originally hoped, which is fine, but a bit of a disappointment to me. I enjoyed them and will continue to read the series as it's published, but I don't think I'll be chomping at the bit for the next. I didn't engage as much as I had hoped.

No comments:

Post a Comment