Monday, June 20, 2011

Review: Lament

Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception
By Maggie Stiefvater
Published 2008 by Flux

So I fell a little bit in love with Stiefvater when I saw a book trailer she had posted (here) on the web one day. Then I had friends raving about her werewolves. But, you know, life gets busy and I didn't get a chance to read her. Now, she is another of my ALA prep authors. I couldn't get my hands on a copy of Shiver in time (because I was looking at the libraries only) but I did manage to find this one, which I believe is her debut novel. This was a bit of a weird experience for me. I really wanted to like it because, as I said, I kind of have a crush on Stiefvater. But this book is weird. There is not a whole lot of explanation as to what's going on initially, and the ease with which the main character just accepts the crazy stuff that starts to happen her is a bit mind-boggling. That being said though, she is a likable protagonist and this book is a nice balance of action, fantasy, romance and realism. I'm intrigued enough by Stiefvater and her writing to want to read more. That being said, I think she would be a blast to be friends with. Hopefully my total inability to make small talk won't inhibit me from being friendly with the authors I'm about to meet this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment