Sunday, May 1, 2011

Review: How to Clean a Hippopotamus

How to Clean a Hippopotamus: A Look at Unusual Animal Partnerships
By Steve Jenkins and Robin Page
Published 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Books for Children

It's quite obvious that I'm on a non-fiction kick right now. I just love how these picture books take the chance to introduce such interesting concepts or people to young children. It's never too early to get kids interested in learning things! This book is perfect for kids - in general, kids love learning about animals and this focuses on a really specific kind of relationship in the wild that I think is particularly fascinating to children. Jenkins and Page look at symbiosis in the wild and give many examples of it throughout the animal kingdom. I would say the great majority of them were even new to me, so I think this is a wonderful non-fiction title for kids. Jenkins illustrations are beautiful as usual. This is another title that is a little lengthy with concepts and words that might be more difficult for young kids but you could certainly use bits and pieces of it for children of a variety of ages. Very enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment