Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Review: Skit-Scat Raggedy Cat

Skit-Scat Raggedy Cat: Ella Fitzgerald
By Roxane Orgill, illustrated by Sean Qualls
Published 2010 by Candlewick Press

This is a hard one for me to interpret my feelings on. I learned a few things about Ella that I hadn't known before and I appreciated the rhythmic pacing of the story. However, all in all, this book doesn't provide you with all that much information on Ella's life and focuses on only a small part of her story. Instead, the focus is more on the music she felt in her soul and that's highlighted through the lyrics that are abundant throughout the book. I would have liked more biographical information. I think the illustrations were the right accompaniment to the story of Ella's struggle through poverty and homelessness. She looked like a free-swinging down-and-out cat throughout the story. Just okay for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment